Sign up here to receive updates on Frederick Beer Week!
FBW on Facebook
Welcome to the first Monday of daylight savings time. Sure, we all are a little fried from getting up ann hour earlier, but just remember, beer awaits you on the other side of the workday. Yes, in the immortal words of Monty Python, "always look on the bright side of life..." ... See MoreSee Less
Five thoughts on the Zombie Apocalypse you never see portrayed/addressed in any of the books or movies:
1. Zombies are generally shown as fast or slow. Even if you prescribe to the idea that they all should shamble, the longer one is dead, the slower it should move as musculature rots away.
2. Should they be subject to a period of rigor? Or would the ability to move preclude that from happening?
3. If infected blood got into the water, would that be an issue for the survivors? Or does that depend on the nature of the pathogen?
4. How would enclaves of survivors deal with food supplies? Hunting/gathering forays to local markets & big box stores will only feed so many for so long.
5. In some way or another, some form of beer will be part of whatever society is left - bittering agents may well be things like lavender, pine and other such things, and you're probably looking at wild fermentation, but my money is on some survivor somewhere will find a way to make beer.
Viva la cerveza! ... See MoreSee Less
Sorry the column is late. Let’s call it a 12-hour snow delay.Yup. I know. You’re sick of the winter weather. And you know what? In six months we’ll all be sick of 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity, because, well, summer here sucks too.Don’t get me wrong. I’m tired of the winter weather, too. But f...
Good morning, Beer Nuts! Looks like snow until mid-day/mid-afternoonish. Stay warm and safe - there appears to be a layer of ice under the snow. Hopefully you stocked up, because today's going to be a bad day to run to the store to get some beer. Cheers! ... See MoreSee Less
Reasons to drink Frederick Beer:
10. It's yummy.
9. It's pretty much made in your back yard.
8. As such, it's the freshest beer you can get.
7. It's Barse-a-licious.
6. If you don't, Flying Dog brewer Matt Brophy will have to return to his life as an underground street fighter on the mean streets of Port-au-Prince...or maybe Gettysburg.
5. Did we mention it's yummy?
4.The dark lord Volde-wort commands it.
3. Three words: hops, hops, hops.
2. Your hops have been lovingly fondled by local farmers.
1. It's fucking awesome. ... See MoreSee Less
Ugh. I think we've subconsciously just been ignoring this hoping that it wouldn't pan out but alas, you may want to make sure your shovels are still accessible and that your fridge is stocked.
WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-FREDERICK VA-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...
CHARLES TOWN...MOOREFIELD...BAYARD...MOUNT STORM...PETERSBURG...ELK GARDEN...KEYSER...FORT ASHBY
323 AM EST SAT MAR 1 2014
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE WASHINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.
* PRECIPITATION TYPE...FREEZING RAIN...SLEET...AND SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR FREEZING RAIN FOLLOWED BY FIVE OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW.
* TIMING...FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET LOOKS TO BEGIN SUNDAY EVENING CHANGING TO SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...OVERNIGHT SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY.
* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S SUNDAY EVENING...MID 20S THROUGH MONDAY.
* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.
* IMPACTS...POTENTIAL FOR HAZARDOUS TRAVEL SUNDAY EVENING FROM ICY ROADS...BECOMING SNOWY FOR MONDAY.
Our brewer Chris Lowe, one of the minds behind our Brewhouse Rarities Mango Habanero IPA, is a beast in the brewhouse and in the kitchen. Playing up the balance of sweet and heat in the beer, he developed a recipe for Mango Habanero hot wings that are sure to make you sweat. Ingredients: 5 lbs …
After a few technical difficulties (Verizon has been working on the cable lines outside the house all morning, so Internet has been in and out), the Beer Guy is up. He talks about his experience at the Wholefoods Beerfest in Tysons this past weekend, the Nugget Nectar conundrum, and goes to the island nation of Japan for this week's beer recommendation -
http://frederickbeer.com/beer-guy-home-brew-will-travel/... See MoreSee Less
On Saturday I took the Frederick Beer Week show on the road. Specifically, to the Tysons Corner Whole Foods first ever Craft Beer Festival.I love beer festivals.That’s not to say all of them are good, but beerfests give me the opportunity to do several things I love – sample great beer and chat abou...