The Old Frederick Hash House Harriers “Yo Mama’s” Hash Run
Start Location: Madrones
Address: 7810 Worman’s Mill Rd, Frederick
Start Time: 2:00 PM
More Information: www.ofh3.com/
Meet at Madrones for the 2:00 PM start of the first-ever Frederick Beer Week Hash run with the Frederick Hash House Harriers. The run will be approximately 5 kilometers with a stop at Jekyl and Hydes on East Street before returning to Madrones. This is designed to be a small, intimate and informal event with fewer than 20 runners. Please be respectful of the group’s decision to limit
Hash Houses, often referred to drinking clubs with a running problem, find their origins back in December 1938 in Kuala Lumpur, then in the Federated Malay States (now Malaysia), when a group of British colonial officers and expatriates began meeting on Monday evenings to run, in a fashion patterned after the traditional British paper chase or “hare and hounds”, to rid themselves of the excesses of the previous weekend. The original members included, Albert Stephen (A.S.) Ignatius “G” Gispert, Cecil Lee, Frederick “Horse” Thomson, Ronald “Torch” Bennett and John Woodrow. A. S. Gispert suggested the name “Hash House Harriers” after the Selangor Club Annex, where several of the original hashers happened to live, known as the “Hash House” where they also dined.
After the end of World War II in an attempt to organize the city of Kuala Lumpur, they were informed by the Registrar of Societies that as a “group,” they would require a constitution. Apart from the excitement of chasing the hare and finding the trail, harriers reaching the end of the trail would partake of beer, ginger beer and cigarettes.
The objectives of the Hash House Harriers as recorded on the club registration card dated 1950:
- To promote physical fitness among our members
- To get rid of weekend hangovers
- To acquire a good thirst and to satisfy it in beer
- To persuade the older members that they are not as old as they feel